Robert Reich explains authoritarianism 88% Posted Jan 2017

Robert Reich explains authoritarianism

No, I'm sure all those people who have been voting my posts down are going to come in and address every point Reich made

Robert Reich explains authoritarianism 88% Posted Jan 2017

Robert Reich explains authoritarianism

I think I must have been - which members of his family did he appoint to office?

Robert Reich explains authoritarianism 88% Posted Jan 2017

Robert Reich explains authoritarianism

Are you saying the Obama administration ticked the same list?

Bypassed the press

Denigrated the press

Scapegoated

Lied

was vindictive

appointed members of his family?

Robert Reich explains authoritarianism 88% Posted Jan 2017

Robert Reich explains authoritarianism

I'm interested in ConcernedCitizen's and Irv's reactions to this.

Is Reich overreacting, or do you think he has legitimate concerns about the state of democracy under Trump?

Samantha Bee - People are saying Trump likes pee 87% Posted Jan 2017

Samantha Bee - People are saying Trump likes pee

Just continuing Trump's own theme

Does that make Donald a "libtard"?

Samantha Bee - People are saying Trump likes pee 87% Posted Jan 2017

Samantha Bee - People are saying Trump likes pee

Well, what do you know? Similar claims were made about Hitler as well.

You really couldn't make this up.

Cuttlefish can count to five 94% Posted Jan 2017

Cuttlefish can count to five

Hmm... Maybe they're not counting as such. Maybe they're assessing the volume of food and/or ease of consumption.

I'd like to know what they chose between say, three small shrimps and two larger ones.

Would the child choose one huge bear over five tiny ones?

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael 87% Posted Dec 2016

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael

No, that's you projecting.

I'd be happy to say what motivates me if I thought you would engage honestly. However, I've asked it and had no answer enough times now that I think your intent (as you've previously stated) is to waste some more of my time.

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael 87% Posted Dec 2016

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael

OK, I'm done here. It seems pretty obvious now you're not up to answering questions though it was good to see you posting with a reduced level of insults.

Have a good weekend, folks

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael 87% Posted Dec 2016

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael

I'm defending nothing. I just commented that to me it seems an odd way to spend time - making others waste their own time.

And I'm still wondering what motivates you to do it. So, what do you get out of it when you make someone else waste their time?

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael 87% Posted Dec 2016

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael

That seems an odd way to want to spend your life - are you getting paid for it?

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael 87% Posted Dec 2016

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael

So what are you aiming to achieve with sjws?

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael 87% Posted Dec 2016

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael

Hi Irv.

You seem to have a "bee in your bonnet" about what we could call "the Boreme community" - i.e. the clips that are posted and people's posts about them. And yet rather than find a site that is more aligned to your own views, you continue to post here - and I am not saying you shouldn't contribute.

However, I keep asking the question because I'm genuinely curious about what you're aiming to achieve.

Are you trying to persuade people they are wrong and should come around to your point of view?

Are you testing your own opinions or questionning your assumptions?

Are you just trying to wind people up - or indeed something else entirely?

Like I say, I'm honestly curious - can you explain?

Nick Abbot on driving 87% Posted Jan 2017

Nick Abbot on driving

Happy New Year, cengland0.

Pedantry corner: I think you mean "fare."

Pot calling kettle black corner: if the USA has gone metric, why do they sell beer in 12oz bottles? https://www.liquormart.com/avery-brewing-rumpkin-imperial-pumpkin-23249.html

Here we go again corner: http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=43154

Insight into Donald Trump via his tweets 88% Posted Jan 2017

Insight into Donald Trump via his tweets

Nothing about why cats are popular on the internet either.

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael 87% Posted Dec 2016

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael

If "there is no point in getting them to consider another viewpoint", then what are you trying to achieve?

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael 87% Posted Dec 2016

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael

So what are you trying to achieve?

If there are faults in their logic, point them out.

If they have deficiencies in educational areas, educate them.

If they are co-opting a popular trendy vewpoint without understanding the underlying logic, call them on it.

However, nobody who is called a libtard is going to say, "Oh, I've just been called a libtard. I now see the error of my ways and I shall change my beliefs." They're just going to feel insulted, discount what you have to say and not change their opinions.

Are you trying to change their opinion or make them feel insulted?

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael 87% Posted Dec 2016

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael

No need to repeat yourself - I heard you the first time.

If by "play whack a mole with a gish galloping libtard" you mean, "address the points raised by someone else," then I can think of at least four reasons to do so:

1) It tests your own reasoning and might make you inspect your beliefs which could take you out of your thought-bubble

2) It could do the same for someone else and you could persuade them to your point of view, thereby spreading your influence

3) It demonstrates intellectual flexibility

4) Practising arguing and reasoned debate lets you develop and strengthen those skills.

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael 87% Posted Dec 2016

Sexy Sax Man tribute to George Michael

This is all frankly tedious, so I finally feel moved to chip in my "two pennorth".

What are you trying to achieve, "Irv" (in your latest personification)?

This site has liberals and libertarians, climate change deniers and affirmers, (people who post as) cats and dogs and many more flavours of opinion all banging away at each other.

A quick scoot through different threads shows a variety of opinions, debates and debating styles/abilities, sometimes witty, sometimes not - but usually addressing the other's arguments and positions.

I don't see Groupthink Central - and I don't see you addressing arguments. I see you and "Captain Colloquism" (in his latest personification) having a pissing contest - but at least he's addressing your points rather than just flinging insults.

If you don't like someone's opinion, show them how they're wrong: don't just call them a "libturd" - explain how they're a "libturd" and show them how their argument is wrong. You're doing yourself no favours, otherwise.

So what are you trying to achieve? If you're trying to win, go for it: take him on, show him where he's wrong, engage.

However, if you're just trying to have the last word ("you need to get out more", "No, YOU need to get out more", "No I've been out more recently than you", "Well my dad's bigger than your dad"), please be the bigger man and stop. It seems to be fun for you two, but it's not for the rest of us (or me at least)

I'm posting this in the full expectation of being voted down multiple times and being accused of groupthink-libtard echo-chamber-circle-jerking knee-jerk brainwashed-reaction but I've scrolled through enough.

Happy New Year everyone.

A look at 2016, the hottest year on record 62% Posted Dec 2016

A look at 2016, the hottest year on record

Watch out, snakes, here we come!

TheBob