Theresa May's 86% Posted Oct 2017

Theresa May's "extraordinary" conference speech

"A cold" certainly seems to be the spin being put on things. But listen to the whole speech - the first 50 minutes doesn't sound like someone with any kind of cold, let alone a heavy one.

Theresa May's 86% Posted Oct 2017

Theresa May's "extraordinary" conference speech

She didn't start with a cough, she started with a strong voice but there was something she said that literally stuck in her throat.

If you watch the whole speech, there's a clear point where it all changes and she has trouble sounding convincing. I'd suggest this was the physical manifestation of an internal conflict - something she didn't believe in that she had to say nevertheless.

What was she talking about? Brexit.

What was the phrase that stuck in her throat? "I believe it's profoundly in all our interests for the negotiations to succeed."

She campaigned to remain and now has to try and sell Brexit and it was literally hard for her to get the words out.

The Atheist Experience - The chair in the room 88% Posted Oct 2017

The Atheist Experience - The chair in the room

I was initially unsure if she was telling the truth or not - but was finally convinced by her hat.

Robot Sophia represents new technologies at Web Summit 2017 87% Posted Oct 2017

Robot Sophia represents new technologies at Web Summit 2017

Twat, limited-ability AI robot plus presenter thinking "Why did we invite this twat?"

SpaceX - Anywhere on Earth in under an hour 88% Posted Sep 2017

SpaceX - Anywhere on Earth in under an hour

Have telephones stopped working?

Pastor Jim Bakker helps you stay alive during the apocalypse 87% Posted Sep 2017

Pastor Jim Bakker helps you stay alive during the apocalypse

I get increasingly worried by these shysters normalising the apocalypse and making stupid people think it's survivable as long as they have one of Jim's floatable buckets.

Combined with the tweeted "rhetoric" of Trump threatening "Little Rocket Man" they're making the world a much less safe place.

Why do white paintings sell for millions and end up in museums? 87% Posted Sep 2017

Why do white paintings sell for millions and end up in museums?

TYT - Trump brings up crowd size during hurricane speech 87% Posted Aug 2017

TYT - Trump brings up crowd size during hurricane speech

2:48 "He's not a cunning linguist"?

Is that why Melania always looks so unhappy?

TED-Ed - How does impeachment work? 86% Posted Aug 2017

TED-Ed - How does impeachment work?

Get your facts straight: the monarch cannot be impeached because all the swans belong to her.

Paula White: Trump loves prayer, we gotta pray 86% Posted Aug 2017

Paula White: Trump loves prayer, we gotta pray

An alternative to her being bonkers is that maybe she's being totally cynical and a hypocrite.

This is a business, they're looking for donations and to shift merchandise (including an "extreme survival" water bottle for $25 + shipping) In order to shift more "extreme survival" products, you need to talk up the apocalypse and that's what they're doing.

Jim Bakker did time in prison for stealing from the "Praise the Lord" club and now he's in the survivalist business.

Televangelist, my arse.

Paula White: Trump loves prayer, we gotta pray 86% Posted Aug 2017

Paula White: Trump loves prayer, we gotta pray

"The principalities are going crazy".

Is she including Wales and Monaco?

Gene-editing for the masses - $140 mail order CRISPR kit 87% Posted Aug 2017

Gene-editing for the masses - $140 mail order CRISPR kit

He sounds responsible: what could possibly go wrong?

Police prepare for sea-level rise 85% Posted Aug 2017

Police prepare for sea-level rise

Caption: 167 days ago

The U.S. version of "The Bill"

Dunkirk statistics 87% Posted Jul 2017

Dunkirk statistics

"I would be much more humble towards hurt feelings in France" Hmm - I'd actually try and establish a more objective reality check. Hurt feelings I think are more likely to give rise to myths and obfuscation.

"criticism from in the US" Yes, right - take criticism on the depiction of WW2 in films from the country that brought us "The Great Escape", "U 571" and "Inglourious basterds" (sic) amongst others?.

"But then, the filmmaker never intended to tell a realistic story about Dunkirk." Where did you get that from? OK, you can't have an exact duplication of the event (which would last days and people would really be killed or injured), but Nolan wanted to recreate what it like on the ground and I think he did a great job.

The Daily Show - Mooch loves Trump 87% Posted Jul 2017

The Daily Show - Mooch loves Trump

Yes, but can he do the fandango?

The Queen has a double 87% Posted Jul 2017

The Queen has a double

Try turning the audio on then you can hear her say, "A stand-in is not a look-alike: I don't look like the Queen."

Klezmer Dolphins 88% Posted Jul 2017

Klezmer Dolphins

Is that how dolphins say, "please stop that godawful music"?

Lawrence Krauss - Does ESP make sense? 87% Posted Jul 2017

Lawrence Krauss - Does ESP make sense?

How did I know the right answer? ("Bigger")

How did I know the explanation for the right answer? ("If the metal had been there, the area round the "hole" would have got bigger")

How did I have the experience that everything was the same and was a rerun apart from the surprising reverse of the answer? (Classroom, problem, hands up, different answer from everyone else, correct explanation of the answer).

One explanation is some sort of precognition experience (ESP). Given the rest of my life and the number of other times I haven't experienced it, ESP seems unlikely, but...

...the other explanations (all a dream, heard it elsewhere and had a memory glitch to invent a non-existent scenario) seem equally unlikely.

I had an odd experience. There are a number of unlikely but possible explanations, one of which is ESP/precognition.

The old Ptolemaic view of the universe with the Earth at the centre was so bleeding obvious that people had to invent increasingly bizarre models to account for the anomalous movement of Mars (apparently going backwards then forwards). Actually, the simple solution was that the Earth was not at the centre after all.

If you're saying that (leaving out the charlatans and magicians) all instances of ESP can be explained by ever more complex psychological phenomena, then maybe it's time to accept that the simplest solution could be that maybe ESP does exist.

If you accept the quantum physics phenomenon that the observer can affect the experiment, isn't that just some sort of ESP by another name?

Lawrence Krauss - Does ESP make sense? 87% Posted Jul 2017

Lawrence Krauss - Does ESP make sense?

"Didn't you just have a memory glitch?" No. My definition of memory is something that happened in the past that I recall now. There was no time when I was the only one to get it wrong.

"You could have been asked or heard the question in a different scenario, maybe on TV, or overhearing a conversation, or read it in a magazine - and then mis-remembered." So I heard it on the TV, then rather than think, "Oh I vaguely remember something about this," I created in my mind the certainty that everyone else had put their hand up to the same question and I had been the only one to get it wrong.. This is obviously possible, but I suggest just as unlikely as precognition.

Another possibillity I've entertained is maybe the whole thing is made up. Maybe I had a vivid dream (a la Inception) and it never really happened to me at all. All I can say is here is an odd experience, how can I account for it? And some of the non-ESP explanations seem as unlikely as the ESP one(s).

"Something interesting is going on there" Yep.

"I'd talk to a psychiatrist first before concluding ESP was involved." OK, if the teacher asked "Does the hole get bigger or smaller?" and I answered "penis" - then maybe I'd think about seeing a psychiatrist.

Anyway, do have a look at that Horizon programme (slow day today, I had another look) - and here's one of the guys involved giving a "not TED" talk. He worked with the US security services. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBl0cwyn5GY

It's like there's enough weird stuff out there that people have to invest more in denying it than accepting it just might have a truth. Surely there's enough weird stuff documented in quantum physics for you to admit the tiniest possibility of at least some ESP experiences being just that: genuine phenomena that cannot be explained by our current scientific understanding (yet).

Lawrence Krauss - Does ESP make sense? 87% Posted Jul 2017

Lawrence Krauss - Does ESP make sense?

A short bit of personal experience:

In physics at school, the teacher asked us a very specific question: "If you heat a sheet of metal with a hole in it, does the hole get bigger or smaller?" Hands up for bigger, hands up for smaller.

I and one other guy were the only ones to say "bigger" (the correct answer). Everyone else got it wrong. The teacher asked us how we knew and my answer was, "Because I got it wrong last time."

I was absolutely convinced this was the 2nd time he'd asked that question and the 1st time I'd said "smaller" and been the only one to get it wrong.

So what actually happened here? It's most unlikely that the teacher and 35 other boys forgot this was the 2nd time, so we can discount that. It wasn't a lucky guess on my part because the question was specifically about sheets of metal, holes and expansion and I correctly "remembered" the reason for my answer.

The only explanation I can come up with is that it was some kind of ESP/precognition experience - but I was too stunned and confused at the time to ask any questions of my classmates or the teacher.

So what?

1) Although there's no way of me being able to prove this to you, I know it happened to me - and I think there are loads of similar experiences that have happened to others. For us ESP is a reality.

2) In my case, it's not fraud, subconscious cold-reading or intuition. It was a genuinely inexplicable experience - but no less real for being inexplicable.

3) I think the question/answer was too specific to be explained by randomness. If I think of someone and they telephone me that could be random: just think of all the times I think of someone and they don't telephone.

4) I (and the others who have experienced something) cannot reproduce it, therefore our experiences cannot be entered in the scientific canon.

So yes, there are frauds claiming to speak to your dead granny. Yes, there are entertainers pretending "magical" powers. Yes, Randi has exposed charlatans. Yes, these things cannot easily be reproduced under laboratory conditions.

But yes, ESP exists in the random experiences of many ordinary people.

Anyway, if you have 90 minutes you might enjoy this old BBC Horizon programme on ESP (though they might have made it all up!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Gog3xMluA

TheBob