Super powerful US Navy vs Spanish authorities 57% Posted Jan 2018

Super powerful US Navy vs Spanish authorities

Try reading history not watching Hollywood.

Google "Fall of Saigon" and explain to us how this was a victory for the USA in Vietnam.

Check out https://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/05/opinion/opinion-d-day-myth-reality/index.html to correct some myths about D Day (Only 50% the troops were American, 15% of the ships, 20% of the landing craft).

Compare German casualties on the eastern and western fronts before realising it was actually the Russians who won the war.

But congratulations on committing genocide against the native Americans. I'll concede that you really beat them

Moscow's cold war on snow 84% Posted Jan 2018

Moscow's cold war on snow

This seems to make sense. They have sewage which needs treating. They have dirty snow/soon to be dirty water (presumably full of salt or other detritus that comes off the roads) which needs treating.

They'd need to mix sewage with water to whack it through the processing plant so why not kill two birds with one stone? The sewage is probably warmer and helps melt/dispose of the snow and bingo! They've got a lot of dirty water and sewage to put through the plant.

We really need a Russian water engineer to give us the low-down.

Moscow's cold war on snow 84% Posted Jan 2018

Moscow's cold war on snow

Where do you think your drinking water comes from? I don't know where you live but for most of the UK our clean drinking water comes via the sewage treatment plant.

Masha Gessen: Russians didn't elect Donald Trump, Americans did 86% Posted Jan 2018

Masha Gessen: Russians didn't elect Donald Trump, Americans did

Enough about Trump.
What do you think of the points she was making?

The President is a genius 88% Posted Jan 2018

The President is a genius

Expelliarmus!

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech 86% Posted Jan 2018

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech

Here here.

Though I'm still waiting for the full and detailed explanation of this "eminent" danger. We just don't have it over here and Google tells me nothing. If it's not to do with Eminem, is it maybe something to do with M&M's? Is it a special sweet and chocolatey kind of danger you have in the US?

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech 86% Posted Jan 2018

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech

Regarding the Penny Black, you need to be more precise in your self expression.

Regarding eminent danger - that's very interesting. Is it called "eminent"  because it's well known? Or does it have something to do with Eminem, who I uderstand performed in a theatre?

Nigel Farage backs second referendum on Brexit 86% Posted Jan 2018

Nigel Farage backs second referendum on Brexit

I've been startled to find myself agreeing with Blair, Adonis and Heseltine - but I'm frankly gobsmacked to find myself agreeing with Farage

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech 86% Posted Jan 2018

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech

Whether what exactly is arrestable? And "he" is "still correct" how?

"He" claimed,  " You cannot speak about the abolition of the queen or have any image of a dead queen," which is palpable nonsense.

How come Republic https://www.republic.org.uk/ are allowed to campaign for the abolition of the monarchy? Which law do you or "he" claim they have broken?

And not allowed to "have any image of a dead queen"? What about all those UK stamp collectors who have a Penny Black (look it up) with an image of Queen Victoria. What law are they supposed to have broken?

Join the dots for me, cite the laws that have been broken and I'll happily concede.

You seem to know a lot about what "he" is thinking - perhaps you can explain what this "eminent danger" is that "he" keeps going on about. It sounds really interesting.

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech 86% Posted Jan 2018

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech

It's not relevant because it's a completely separate discussion.

You said "You cannot speak about the abolition of the queen." I gave an example of people speaking about the abolition of the queen - and they haven't been prosecuted because it's not illegal in the UK. Look, here's another organisation actively (and legally) campaigning for the abolition of the monarchy https://www.republic.org.uk/ Where do you get these "alternative facts" from?

You raised two secondary issues about there being no gap between one monarch dying and the next in line taking over - and Mr Smith having no plans for a referendum.

Those secondary issues are as relevant as responding to someone saying, "You can't abolish the monarchy", with "The queen can wear a hat if she wants to." I.e. not relevant.

Anyway, please tell us more about this eminent danger you keep going on about. Is it a particularly distinguished or famous kind of danger? We just have the ordinary kind over here.

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech 86% Posted Jan 2018

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech

I take total responsibility for your misunderstanding of my point: I obviously didn't express myself clearly enough. Sorry.

The original Guest who started this hare running said, "You cannot speak about the abolition of the queen." So I linked to an article reporting some people speaking about the abolition of the queen (or more precisely, the monarchy) and said they must be very naughty to do that.

I don't understand how your comment on the immediate transfer of the monarchy to the next in line or the lack of a plan for a referendum is relevant.

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech 86% Posted Jan 2018

Steven Pinker: 4 reasons for defending free speech

"or have any image of a dead queen"? Thanks for letting me know: I'd better get rid of those old Victorian stamps I have.

I'll pop a quick email to this newspaper as well http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/british-republican-group-calls-for-referendum-on-monarchy-when-queen-dies-a6993216.html for talking about a referendum on the abolition of the monarchy. Very naughty of them.

Please point me towards your information source - I'm worried I'm breaking the law in all sorts of ways I hadn't realised.

Scientists detect first interstellar asteroid 94% Posted Nov 2017

Scientists detect first interstellar asteroid

Rendezvous with Rama

Coming soon, the new SpotMini from Boston Dynamics 86% Posted Nov 2017

Coming soon, the new SpotMini from Boston Dynamics

Hang on, where was the guy trying to kick it over?

Vladimir Putin - Fats Domino's Blueberry Hill 88% Posted Oct 2017

Vladimir Putin - Fats Domino's Blueberry Hill

Fake blues

Interview with Sophia, the latest and greatest from Hanson Robotics 87% Posted Oct 2017

Interview with Sophia, the latest and greatest from Hanson Robotics

As a Saudi citizen, would this robot have more rights by putting on a male face?

Richard Branson on Elon Musk's life mission 87% Posted Oct 2017

Richard Branson on Elon Musk's life mission

"Earth needs protecting," says man who runs airline and failed to deliver on his pledge to fund the development of a low-carbon fuel.

'The Mechanics of History' mesmerises visitors 94% Posted Oct 2017

'The Mechanics of History' mesmerises visitors

Tragedy or farce?

Why North Korea stands no chance against US 87% Posted Oct 2017

Why North Korea stands no chance against US

My point exactly: the first part (destroying NK missiles) is easy, but the second part isn't.

Why would the US be any more successful this time, considering their experiences in the Vietnam and the Korean wars?

Why North Korea stands no chance against US 87% Posted Oct 2017

Why North Korea stands no chance against US

"No chance against the US"? Depends on the type of conflict.

North Vietnam had "no chance" against the US, Afghanistan had "no chance" against the old Soviet Union, the IRA had "no chance" against Britain.

Agreed, in a conventional head-to-head military conflict, smaller and worse-armed forces have no chance, but they don't always agree to play by the rules the superpowers want.

TheBob