Diamond mark-ups exposed 87% Posted Mar 2017

Diamond mark-ups exposed

Comment: 7 hours ago

It's called capitalism and there is nothing wrong with selling at what the market will pay.  Why sell an item for $20,000 if someone will be willing to pay $40,000.  It doesn't make good busines sense to always reduce your price.

Some companies would rather sell 1 item at a GPM of 55% versus 10 of them at 5%.  So you have a choice between selling a lot of an item at a low GPM or a small amount of them at a high Gross Profit Margin.  Walmart's philosophy is to sell a lot of low GPM products in high volume but the cellphone case kiosk in the mall sells a few high GPM products instead.  They pay pennies for a case and sells it for $15 to $20 each.

In the case of diamonds, they do not want a saturated market (the product lasts forever) so it is a business decision to sell them at a high profit margin.  There are so many unsold diamonds in safes in New York being held back to keep the price of diamonds high when it isn't really as rare as they make it appear.

The reason that salesperson stated where their diamonds come from because it's important to some people to not buy a blood diamond which are usually from West or Central African countries like Sierra Leone.  Although there are no active mines in Wyoming and Montana, there is one in Arkansas.

Why Socrates hated democracy 86% Posted Mar 2017

Why Socrates hated democracy

Comment: 1 day ago

This is why the USA is a democratic republic.  We vote for representatives that vote on the day-to-day issues.  The people may vote on local ordinances but nothing federal.  Those votes are left up to the representatives and the senate.  Only if it's squeeks by with a narrow margin can the elected President veto it.

Why is Switzerland so rich? 94% Posted Mar 2017

Why is Switzerland so rich?

What the hell is up with the music in your video?  It is much too loud and at a volume much greater than your voice when you're talking.  Extremely annoying and I will not watch another one of your videos if you continue doing that.

Retracing route of London terror attacker 87% Posted Mar 2017

Retracing route of London terror attacker

Did you look up the stats for Columbia and Venezuela where guns are illegal and compare that to Isreal where guns are legal?  That will prove that it has nothing to do with the number of guns owned per capita and if they are legal or not.

Retracing route of London terror attacker 87% Posted Mar 2017

Retracing route of London terror attacker

Comparing results of a country with over 300 million citizens to one that only has 64 million is a bit crazy.  It would be like comparing the number of deaths caused from old age is higher in the USA than in the UK so we should do something about that.

Retracing route of London terror attacker 87% Posted Mar 2017

Retracing route of London terror attacker

Interesting how you try to change the subject from actual mass murder devices terrorists are using such as cars and knives to land minds, SAM missiles, and grenades.

Retracing route of London terror attacker 87% Posted Mar 2017

Retracing route of London terror attacker

Although each state varies regarding licensing, one thing in common federally is that you cannot buy a gun from Walmart without going through a background check.  Walmart does not sell land-mines, hand grenades, or SAM missiles.

Retracing route of London terror attacker 87% Posted Mar 2017

Retracing route of London terror attacker

Of course the sensible thing to do would be to ban all cars because it's now known they can be used as a weapon to kill and injure many people.  Also, ban knives because the policeman was stabbed with one.  What surprises me is that he was shot dead with a weapon people in the UK want banned.

This isn't an isolated case of someone driving a vehicle to kill many people.

Bill Nye's open letter to President Trump 88% Posted Mar 2017

Bill Nye's open letter to President Trump

Is NASA the only thing you can spend money on and have a 10x economic impact?  What if you just gave that money to the White House toilet cleaning crew?  Same economic effect with trickle down economics, right?  With that in mind, it would make more sense to get an ROI on your spending instead of shooting it up in space.  Maybe repairing our crumbling infrastructures like roads and bridges would be a good start.

Bill Nye's open letter to President Trump 88% Posted Mar 2017

Bill Nye's open letter to President Trump

I didn't mention defense spending.  But I think we can reduce that as well.

We shouldn't be spending money unnecessarily when we are so far in debt.  We need to cut all the programs that Trump is cutting and more.  I know some people like Arts and PBS and stuff like that but we cannot afford to take a luxury vacation and enjoy the "good life" when we are drowning in debt.

Bill Nye's open letter to President Trump 88% Posted Mar 2017

Bill Nye's open letter to President Trump

Bill, you are right.  There are two questions deep within us.  They are:

1.  How will this 5% increase in budget reduce our national debt?

2.  How will any new information about Mars grow the economy?

Disposable drones to the rescue 87% Posted Mar 2017

Disposable drones to the rescue

I doubt this would be a viable option for a company like Amazon to deliver goods.  The cost per unit would be too expensive to waste.  There are electronics in that device and those do cost money to manufacture too.

Even if you were able to get it to work within 1 millimeter of your target location, it's still not a viable option for Amazon even if it was free.  it could hit a person walking by in the head or in the eye.  It could hit a passing car causing an accident or at least a scratch on the car.

The drone technology Amazon is testing has cameras on them and are programmed to avoid obstacles, drop the package off, and then fly back to Amazon to be reused again.  That makes more sense than to drop gliders from airplanes with expensive parts that get thrown away or stay on someone's property spilling lithium and other toxic materials into the ground.

Very cool 1956 Frigidaire fridge 88% Posted Mar 2017

Very cool 1956 Frigidaire fridge

Better than some but doubt it's better than most.

Modern refrigerators are more electrically efficient than those just a decade ago.  Many have ice makers built-in so you don't have to empty the trays like she demonstrated.  Some have cold water and ice dispensors in the door.  Mine has french doors with a freezer drawer at the bottom since you don't go into the freezer as often.  And there is a fruit and vegetable drawer with a controller to specify humidity levels which is a step better than this 1956 model.  They all come with egg and butter compartments but they are removable and that's what I did -- removed them.  Eggs come in their own cartons so no need to remove them from the container that has the expiration date written on them.  The butter fits on a shelf or in the door without using a larger spot.

Being in the UK as most Boreme users are, I've seen how small a typical refrigerator is so this might be considered a great technological achievement for your standards but it isn't for ours.  In 1956 it was a good design though.

Disposable drones to the rescue 87% Posted Mar 2017

Disposable drones to the rescue

This brings up so many questions.

1.  How are the batteries, GPS modules, switches, motors, wires, and PCBs going to be made biodegradable?

2.  Is that really cheaper than dropping a parachute?

3.  Once it gets to the destination, a parachute can be reused to make tents, clothing, garbage bags, or body bags.  I don't see any downside to using parachutes.  The strings can be used as well.  Seems they are trying to fix a process that isn't broken.

How a mathematician dissects a coincidence 87% Posted Mar 2017

How a mathematician dissects a coincidence

I had a similar coincidence occur to me.  I gave someone a business card at one of the 7,000 of our business locations and then I moved 4,693 miles away to work at a different one of the other 7,000 locations.  It may be the furthest two locations on the planet or at least close to it.

The client came into my new location and presented me with my own business card.  He didn't recognize me and I didn't recognize him but the card was clearly mine with my name and address of the first location on it.

Americans in cycling Copenhagen 87% Posted Mar 2017

Americans in cycling Copenhagen

Then I'm pretty sure you have employees that took the job for the money and not because of the location.

It's obvious that nobody is going to commute 50 miles to work for McDonalds, Burger King, or Wendys.  But if they have a job making 200K a year, they might.  Everyone uses their own common sense.  A friend of mine who is paid hourly calculates her final wage after the commute time (current wage * 8 hours)/(8 + commute time).  A $15/hour job with a 2 hour commute makes it equivalent to a $12/hour job with no commute. Not sure if she calculates wear-and-tear on the vehicle and gas prices.  Makes sense to me and I'm sure others do that too if not a rough estimate in their head to see if it's worth the commute to take that new job.

I don't change jobs as often as my friends so I stick with the same company for very long times before switching.  Some factors I use is with mediocre salary increases thoughout the years causing new employees to be hired at higher salaries than employees that have been around for decades.  At that point, it makes sense to ask for a huge increase to get to MVN or change jobs to get a huge salary increase.  My skills are highly sought after so the MVN goes up significantly each year more than a typical COLA increase.  There is shortage for my expertise so it is common for us to hire people from other countries with a Visa and those skills to help.

Some things I use to determine if I switch companies is if I like the job, if I like the other employees, size of the company, the values of the company, salary negotiations, the distance to the office, if I can work from home, benefits, vacations, scope of control, measures of success, FLSA status, schedule/working hours, and how much effort I need to put into the job.

Americans in cycling Copenhagen 87% Posted Mar 2017

Americans in cycling Copenhagen

I'm so happy for you that you're the employer.  Did you ask all your employees where they wanted to work or you don't have any employees?  When hiring people, do you pick the best person qualified for the job or do you descriminate by picking people that live close to the office?

Americans in cycling Copenhagen 87% Posted Mar 2017

Americans in cycling Copenhagen

Did your employer give you a choice where you wanted to work?

I can pick a job closer to home but it might be working for McDonalds versus the high paying job I have now.  So I do have a choice but if I want to make the big bucks, I have to go where the money is.

Americans in cycling Copenhagen 87% Posted Mar 2017

Americans in cycling Copenhagen

"Obviously if you choose to work 18 miles from where you live and shop 8 miles away from your home, you'll want to justify your profligacy with the world's resources in order not to feel bad about yourself. But not all of us make choices like you do."  Do you think I selected where my employer puts their office?  I bought my house way before I began working for my current company.  Unless you have a highly sought after skill that is transferrable to any company, you usually don't get to pick where you work.  You go where the money is.  Imagine how many people relocate because of a promotion and that job being in a different city or state.   I refuse to relocate for a job but I would consider it if I was only renting on a month-to-month basis or the company would offer to buy my old house and full market value without me having to pay realtor fees.  But then I have to consider leaving my friends and family too.  Is it all worth that?

Moral of my story, I didn't get to pick the locations of my current job or any of my former jobs and I have been working for a very long time.

Americans in cycling Copenhagen 87% Posted Mar 2017

Americans in cycling Copenhagen

"I don't think anyone said 'Bicycling is cheaper, easier, and quicker than any other mode of transportation.'"  Maybe you should watch the video then.

"but if you live in a city driving a car is often the most expensive, complicated and slowest way to get around." Doesn't matter where you live.  It all depends on the source and destination distance and the kind of materials/tools you need to take with you.  A farmer cannot bring his vegetables to market on a bicycle and not everyone is lucky enough to live in the same city that they work.

COncernedCitizen