Democracy Now! - World burns but media isn't talking about climate change 88% Posted Aug 2018

Democracy Now! - World burns but media isn't talking about climate change

I'm right up there with you. Cary's argument seems to be

Chomsky warns against climate change.

Chomsky goes on aeroplanes (which contribute to climate change).

Therefore Chomsky's arguments are invalid and I should be allowed to drive my gas guzzler (blah blah blah)

Just because he doesn't seem to follow his principles 100% (and we know nothing of how he might offset his carbon footprint) doesn't invalidate his arguments. They could still be valid - he just may not adhere to them all the time.

And well done, Cary, for being a vegetarian like me. Maybe you could start cycling to work as well, like me - or are you just going to make excuses? Blah, Blah, Blah

Democracy Now! - World burns but media isn't talking about climate change

By golly how right you are. Noam Chomsky got on an aeroplane! I mean how selfish is that?

All these moaners whining about His Awesomeness pulling out of a measly international treaty on climate change and reinvigorating the Great American Coal Industry - what do they know about stuff?

You're right, though - if it's good enough for Chomsky, I'm going to fly to work every day and hang the environment.

Democracy Now! - World burns but media isn't talking about climate change

Yes, I'm not going to do the decent or responsible thing either. I'm going to keep my central heating on in summer, rev my engine at traffic lights, only ever have one person in my car (it's MY car ffs, you can drive your own) until I see ALL these scientists and reporters living the lifestyle that might have helped (if we'd started 10 years ago).

In fact even if they ALL adopt a low-carbon lifestyle, I'm not going to - as long as there's at least one other short-sighted twat like me. After all, why should that other twat get one over on me?

Call that evidence? All I hear is blah blah blah

Newsnight - Interview with Trump's former press secretary Sean Spicer 87% Posted Jul 2018

Newsnight - Interview with Trump's former press secretary Sean Spicer

That was tougher than he expected an "I've just published a book" interview to be.

Husky escapes the heat 87% Posted Jul 2018

Husky escapes the heat

Don't eat the yellow ones

Dinosaur at BBC HQ 86% Posted Jul 2018

Dinosaur at BBC HQ

That's why they're extinct

Anand spends 1:43 minutes on 4th move in blitz chess 92% Posted Jul 2018

Anand spends 1:43 minutes on 4th move in blitz chess

Gosh I need a lie down after that. Much too exciting in this hot weather

TYT - Sacha Baron Cohen destroys the NRA 87% Posted Jul 2018

TYT - Sacha Baron Cohen destroys the NRA

"But my comment was to “The Bob” where he was implying that we don’t have any gun control,"

Interesting interpretation of me saying "Yes, you do have gun control in the States." Is this a Trumpian re-invention of language, "sort of double-negative thing. I think that's cleared that up"?

TYT - Sacha Baron Cohen destroys the NRA 87% Posted Jul 2018

TYT - Sacha Baron Cohen destroys the NRA

Yes, you do have gun control in the States, but the point is it's not very stringent.

Croatian firefighters miss winning penalty 89% Posted Jul 2018

Croatian firefighters miss winning penalty

As convincing as some of the on-pitch shenanigans

Elon Musk's mini-sub for Thai cave rescue 87% Posted Jul 2018

Elon Musk's mini-sub for Thai cave rescue

yes - that would have gone through the 38cm u-bend with no trouble at all

Cute elk calf discovers the joy of puddles 94% Posted Jul 2018

Cute elk calf discovers the joy of puddles

Or you could add a heavy metal sound track and retitle it "Baby elk tormented by inner demons"

Decapitated wasp grabs its head before flying away 94% Posted Jul 2018

Decapitated wasp grabs its head before flying away

Relevance starts about 1 minute in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQslnmcHOeM

You aren't stuck in traffic. You are traffic. 86% Posted Jun 2018

You aren't stuck in traffic. You are traffic.

No, you're not at home, you are home.

Emirates to trial "windowless" planes 86% Posted Jun 2018

Emirates to trial "windowless" planes

I bet Ryanair will project adverts on the "windows" unless you upgrade to ad-free.

Komodo dragon chases a deer 86% Posted Jun 2018

Komodo dragon chases a deer

Smart deer: runs behind the tourists.

The urgent need to tackle climate change NOW! 92% Posted May 2018

The urgent need to tackle climate change NOW!

Hmm... Two comments and a follow-up:

1) Where do I accept I didn't make a point? Either read more closely or stop making things up. (Ideally both.)
2) I'm glad you accept that my "point wasn't blown out of the water."

Anyway, stepping back, my original point was that no matter how much evidence some people are presented with about climate change, there's a group who insist on "business as usual" and I think they're misguided.

I've posted elswehere that the evidence for climate change is either "real" or a glitch and we should either act on it or not. This gives 4 options: we act (and it's real or a glitch); we don't act (and it's real or a glitch). If we act and it's a glitch, humanity generally loses nothing; if we don't act and it's real, humanity will lose a lot. The smart money should be on to act: we'll either minimise the effects or it's a glitch and we've lost nothing.

Here's a bag of snakes: they may or may not be poisonous. Option 1 is put your hand in, option 2 is don't put your hand in. What's the safest option?

The urgent need to tackle climate change NOW! 92% Posted May 2018

The urgent need to tackle climate change NOW!

Your suspicion is absolutely right; let me help you firm up on it. Sarcasm is not a point at all, it's a literary and rhetorical device that is meant to mock.

The urgent need to tackle climate change NOW! 92% Posted May 2018

The urgent need to tackle climate change NOW!

You win. You've totally blown my point out of the water. There is no climate change. I can't think what I was so worried about.

Virgin Galactic's second supersonic test flight 87% Posted May 2018

Virgin Galactic's second supersonic test flight

Hype