Paul Beckwith - 'Hothouse Earth' risks even if CO2 emissions slashed 87% Posted Aug 2018

Paul Beckwith - 'Hothouse Earth' risks even if CO2 emissions slashed

“but I'm not going to discuss it further with you.”  That’s too bad because I thought you had a good comment.  You stated your point without resorting to name calling or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority.

Anyway, for the other people that might read your comment:

“I don't think that's what WalterEgo said. “  Yes he did and I quote, “Meteorologists are not climate scientist”

“it's logistically impossible to come up with a completely watertight way of gauging professional opinion.”  That was the whole point of the conversation.  I do not believe reviewing papers is the way to do that and that method is way off.  You can get one scientist that has produced multiple papers counted twice.  You can skip important people that never produced any papers such as those 38% of meteorologists that are skeptics.  I thought it would be a good idea to find people who have a meteorologist degree and ask them directly.  All climate scientists should have a degree in meteorology, and if they don’t, I wouldn’t consider them to be a climate scientist.  Walter said you cannot do that because “Meteorologists are not climate scientist.”  I would still trust the opinion of anyone with a meteorology degree over Bill Nye, Noam Chomsky, Paul Beckwith, or many of the other wannabe climate scientists.

“you are free to write your own paper on climate change, but getting it published, let alone peer-reviewed”  Should be easy because I have a lot of peers in my office. None are meteorologists but that doesn't seem to matter.  It’s not something I’m passionate about so I’m not going to do it.  Just like the rest of the scientists that are skeptical, they don’t write papers about it so the percentage still remains high.

“Even though you deliberately omitted ‘2011, Ph.D. program’”  I did not leave out any of his credentials.  If you look closely, he entered into the PhD program.  He does not yet have any PhD about climate change.  He may never get one, who knows. It was 2011 when he entered into the program so it’s been 7 years and he doesn’t have it yet. Wow. I hope you don’t think it’s appropriate to consider someone an actual climate scientist once they begin their education and not finish.

“there is an overwhelming consensus of genuine experts who believe in AGW” We have a difference of opinion there.  As for me, I still don’t know because nobody has polled the actual scientists.  Until they do that, I’m going to remain skeptical about that 97% number.  It’s true that many scientists think AGW is true but there are also many that don’t but it’s hard to tell the percentages.  With 38% of meteorologists being skeptics, it supports my opinion that the number is less than 97%.

“haven't managed to present evidence or arguments cogent enough to persuade their expert peers”  To find scientists willing to go against AGW is hard because people are in fear of reprisal and losing their jobs.  That’s why some of the professors that have obtained “Tenure” status that cannot be fired, will speak out about it.  The meteorologist in the video doesn't mind either because he’s paid to report the weather and does his job so they will not fire him for an off-camera interview that doesn’t have to do with the weather.

“have some sort of Pascal's wager” And I agree with that.  There’s no harm in doing the right thing for the environment and I certainly do my share — probably more so than people who blindly believe in AGW.

Paul Beckwith - 'Hothouse Earth' risks even if CO2 emissions slashed

I agree.  It was Walter who said weathermen on TV don't have enough credentials to be considered climate scientists.  It was on a different video so maybe you aren't getting the whole conversation on this one.

What is your opinion on this anyway?  If the 97% of scientists agree figure looks at papers regarding AGW and not actual scientists, shouldn't the papers at least be written by climate scientists?  How can you tell if they have been and not a laser scientist as in this particular video or a mechanical engineer in the case of Bill Nye?  Can I as an Electronic Engineer write a paper and that be counted in the percentage?  That's a science degree.  I think a degree in Linguistics such as that from Chumsky is a Master of Arts.  At least let's have science versus arts in the climate debates.

Paul Beckwith - 'Hothouse Earth' risks even if CO2 emissions slashed

Hey Walter, would you consider this guy a Climate Scientist?  If you go to his website, he  has created a title for himself, “Climate System Scientist”

“He has earned a Masters in Science (M.Sc.) in Laser Optics/Physics. He also earned his undergraduate, with a Bachelors of Engineering (B.Eng.) in Engineering Physics.”

Are these the credentials you would expect a climate scientist to have?  I ask because you still haven’t told me what university degree you think climate scientists should have but you say meteorology is definitely not it.  Apparently anyone like Paul Beckwith, Bill Nye, and Michio Kaku can be climate scientists but you say a weatherman on TV does not have the education to discuss climate science.  Am I understanding your viewpoint on this correctly?

Bill Maher - F**k Mars 88% Posted May 2017

Bill Maher - F**k Mars

I’ll admit that I thought air and atmosphere were synonyms but you are also cherry picking your definitions.  Clearly it doesn't need to be on Earth because the Merriam Webster definition that you purposely left out was ";also : the equivalent mix of gases on another planet.”

The urgent speech Trump never gave 87% Posted Aug 2018

The urgent speech Trump never gave

“since 1880 when direct recording of temperatures around the world began. “  Not valid answer.  “The British East India Company, which traveled extensively between 1789 and 1834, collected an enormous amount of weather data.   Philip Brohan, a climate scientist at the UK’s Met Office, has worked to collate hundreds of thousands of those records and digitize them to be added to the pre-1880 global climate record.”  Wish to try again?

“Yes, very likely - in a few million years when the planets and sun all line up to produce those conditions” Come on Walter, you can do better than that.  Are you saying then that the sun/planet alignments have anything to do with our climate?  Enough that when our planet was at 25C for the vast majority of the history, that was because of the sun and planet alignment?

“Do you see any reason why the climate wouldn't change?”  Yes I do see reasons.  The planet climate has been changing for billions of years.  It seemed normal to be at 25C and then an asteroid hits the planet and then cools it for a very long time and then eventually goes back to the previous 25C temperatures again.  I think it’s funny how you don’t think 25C is the normal temperature for planet Earth.

“But your argument now seems to be: we are warming the planet, just much faster than natural processes”  No, that seems to be your argument.  I have never said that humans are the cause and that it is happening faster than the natural process.  I’ve stated it is possible but I want proof first.  Scientists saying it’s true does not make it true.  Like preachers saying god exists doesn’t make it true.  I’m not a person of faith so you need to show me the proof.

“so we just need to adapt. " Yes, that’s right.  Your snowflake body cannot handle going back 1000 years before indoor plumbing and air conditioning.  We have adapted the opposite way and began relying on technology to make our lives as comfortable as possible.  But those people that will be able to go outside and survive 25C average temperatures, they will survive.  Sorry that you will not be amongst us.  I’m liking that “snowflake” word now since I’ve seen other users using it and the snowflake city.  Think I’ll have to use it more often.

“You might be positive but you're wrong.” You don’t agree that the planet is warming toward the 25C point?  I’m shocked.  I thought even scientists thought that was the trend we were headed toward.  Where do you think we are going then?

“cycles you are talking about are caused by changes in the Earth's orbit around the sun because of gravity. These changes are predictable, constant and really really really really really slow.” No, that’s not what I’m talking about at all.  Do you agree that we are still in an ice age?  Let’s establish that first.  Simple question should have a simple answer.

“What happens when they go under water?” Then that facility isn’t going to be used.  Which nuclear facility do you think is going to go under water over night due to the sea level rise (and not due to something else like an earthquake)?

“What happens to the population of Miami?” They can leave now if they want.  Nothing is holding them back.  People who are buying property there should have their head examined though.

“Internal refugees will be as much of a problem as external refugees”  Not really.  The USA has a bunch of unused land in the middle.  Also, according to you, most of the population is going to die so that leaves more land for the survivors.

“It's Cary, not Carey." Next time you see him, apologize for me.  But I’ve never seen him spell his name — just spelled by other users on this site. I have no idea how it’s spelled.   I'm not sure if you're correct about the spelling or not either.  All I remember is something about his ID being cengland.  That was a few years ago and you guys are still talking about him.  Either way, he doesn't apper to be on this site now so I doubt he really cares if I misspelled his name.

I took Alex Jones' health advice for 30 days 86% Posted Aug 2018

I took Alex Jones' health advice for 30 days

In all seriousness, if you plan on going vegan, you really do need B12 supplements.  You cannot get B12 from any vegetable source and it is a necessary vitamin.

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

A dermatologist has the same base medical training as a cardiologist. After they get settled in and are practicing medicine, they can pick specialties to focus their career paths.  Or are you saying that a dermatologist has not had enough medical training to know about the heart?

Like I said earlier, both a climate scientist and a weather forecaster gets the same training through university.  They can pick whatever career they want after that.  Some pick weather forecasting and some pick writing books and papers about global warming.  But that does not mean a weather forecaster does not have the same knowledge as a climate scientist about how the planet’s weather works (unless, of course you compare BS with Phd).

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

Or, have you thought that the concensus has more to do with who is funding them.  The news channel pays for the weather forecast and they know they will have a job as long as they want one.  The climate scientist applies for grants and is usually paid through a university or government agency and the money might not be there the following year.  I see a potential conflict there.

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

I said I didn't want Jesus to educate me.  Get with the program and learn to read.

The urgent speech Trump never gave 87% Posted Aug 2018

The urgent speech Trump never gave

“You're right, the world has been much warmer many times in the past.” Then you agree that the 14 out of 15 years is a cherry picked date range.  You mention Cretaceous period but the planet has been at 25C for the majority of its history.  We are still in an ice age and our current temperature is 16C.  We have more to go before we are back to the typical temperature of the planet.

Do you see any reason why, even if humans were not here, the planet wouldn’t return back to its normal 25C?  There have been some major events that cooled the planet quickly but it always ends up returning back to 25C.  We are simply doing it again.  Maybe it’s quicker than previous times, maybe not.  We don’t know because the science isn’t clear.  But I am positive that we are on the normal trend for the cycles the planet usually has.

“Even a 1m sea level rise would be catastrophic for human civilisation”  Well, maybe, maybe not.  Some people may die but the ones who can adapt and move inland should survive.  You cannot tell me that the 1m rise would be the first time the planet did that and it didn’t kill all the animals previously either.  The strong will survive, the weak might not.  It’s called “Survival of the Fittest.”  If scientists think we can live on Mars, I'm sure we could live on planet Earth with an extra 1m rise of water.

"You'll be renting out the attic of your Floridian mansion to fish” If I had a Floridian mansion, I’d rent it out now and get even more money.  Maybe even sell it.  Not sure until I talk to an accountant to determine if it’s best to sell or rent.  Which will make me more money.  But you're probably thinking of Carey again as I remember him living in Florida and being a banker.  I don't remember him talking about global warming just like I never talk about banking.  Banking is not my expertise.

Serious question now.  Do you know what date range Obama is using to pick those 15 years?

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

You think me being around longer than that Cary dude is a made up fact.  Incredible liberal thinking.  You don't even want to try to fact check and just make assumptions instead.  You can also check my IP address and confirm that I'm in the USA and not in the UK like the other guy you were chatting with.

I'm not going to argue with you about it.  I know who I am and that's all I need to know.

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

Yup, that's what I thought.  You don't believe me and you don't even want to look.  Go back 9 years or more and see that I've been around longer than that.

The urgent speech Trump never gave 87% Posted Aug 2018

The urgent speech Trump never gave

“14 of the 15 warmest years on record have occurred since the year 2000.”  Those are cherry picked records.  There have been several years within the history of our planet where the temperatures have been warmer.  But of course that doesn’t tell the story the liberals what you to hear so they pick a short date range to include for their “official record” to make it more alarming.  Why didn’t they pick the top 100 hottest years and see when those were.  That’s because if they go beyond 15 years, they will notice some of those dates are beyond the most recent time they want you to think about.

“This is a solvable problem if we start now.”  Start what now?  You’re just talk but no action.  Tell each individual person what you expect out of them or is this just a government thing and the people don’t need to do anything specific?

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

Excuse me but I've been out of this site for a long time.  I just started posting again after about a year or more. Just waiting for the right time to discuss Global Warming again.

You might be confusing me with that Cary guy that everyone else is chatting with.  I've been here longer than him and he left and I'm still here. I remember the day he left.  You can look at my older posts to see that I've been here several years.

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

Yes, I already know the answer but WalterEgo said eluded that I was wrong.  If so, he should be able to tell me what degree a Climate Scientist gets when they graduate from the university.

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

This is a conversation between me and WalterEgo.  You leave now as neither of us asked for your opinion.

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

You are trying to change the subject with some weird ass thought experiment.  All I asked you to tell me is what degree a climate scientist gets when they graduate from university.  Can you do that simple thing?  I said meterology and you seem to think something different.

I’m not following a red herring about cardiologists because my whole conversation started with that 97% of scientists figure being a bogus number and I mentioned why.  You are then trying to tell me about traffic calming in Florida and cardiologists from around the world.

“I ask you to suggest a better method to measure the consensus of experts who agree” I told you but you said that a BS in meteorology wouldn’t get climate scientists.  So I asked you which degree we should pick.  You still haven’t answered.

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

I don't want Jesus to educate me.

He hints towards climate scientist and a meteorologist having different credentials.  I said they both have the same BS+ degree and pointed out which degree they both have.  I challenged him to tell me what he thought the certification was that each gets.  I'm not looking to be educated by anyone since I already know the answer.  Since he refuses to answer, he must have discovered he's wrong and is embarrassed about it.

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

I hear crickets chirping.

Why are some TV meteorologists still climate skeptics?

“google difference between meteorologist and climate scientist” Trying to weasel out of answering the question about what degree they both get.  You probably realized they both get the same schooling but have picked different career paths.  It’s like you can get a BS in computer science and then become a programmer or you can be a systems engineer or you can become a database designer.  They all start with the same degree.  Instead of telling someone to google their answer, why not just give them the answer?  There’s obviously a reason you didn’t. You obviously have no problem with your typing abilities and you do participate in the discussions here.  My guess on why you didn't answer is that you’re ashamed that you were wrong and don’t want to publicly admit it.

“found with a keyword search. That is not cherry-picking.”  To qualify, it must meet specific criteria. First, it needs to be peer-reviewed.  Second, it must mention AGW.  Clearly that is cherry picking.  Perhaps they could have picked all papers regardless if they were peer reviewed or not and if it doesn’t mention AGW, then that’s one for the side that doesn’t think AGW exists.  Have you ever thought about that?  The fact it must mention AGW is already skewed.  Remember, the vast majority of peer-reviewed papers from people with theology degrees say that God exists.  Is that cherry picking?  Think about that.

“All you'll get is an opinion from weather forecasters” Not true.  Climate scientists get the same degrees.  It’s better than hearing the opinion from Bill Nye or Chumsky or whatever his name is.  How about Neil deGrass Tyson talking about it, he's not a climate scientist but everyone listens to his opinion on the matter.  Tell me what degree a climate scientist gets and then you can use that to poll the right people.  Are you willing to tell me what that degree is yet?

“I'm just explaining how the media works.” I know exactly how the media works.  They use scare tactics to sell their stories.  If everything is going great in the world, nobody would watch the news.  They have to make something sound bad so people will watch.  Nearly every news outlet is liberal and they have an agenda and convincing everyone that AGW is true is on their agenda.  If it was a conservative media, they wouldn’t be talking about AGW it as much.

guest123456789